Thursday, June 19, 2008

Musicality

Today I heard an interesting song on my way to the gas station. The song is called, "I Kissed a Girl," by Katy Perry. Yes, Katy Perry is a woman...singing about kissing a girl. The lyrics aren't particularly insightful, poetic, or creative and the song doesn't carry any kind of profound or meaningful message. The gist is that she kissed a girl just because she wanted to and thought it would be a fun, innocent experiment, and she wonders aloud if her boyfriend would care. If we've learned anything from the male gender, not only would he not care, he'd most likely encourage such action, but that's beside the point. As my finger rested on the scan button, poised and ready to skip swiftly to the next station, I felt oddly compelled to continue listening to this song. Sure, the lyrics are, for lack of a better word, dumb, but there was something about the beat, the background music, the baseline that kept me interested in an otherwise lame and banal ballad. This triggered a realization...i have a shallow musical ear. I don't need to have deep revelations when i listen to the radio; I don't want to have to decipher symbolic phrases embedded in weird instrumental rifs to derive some depressing meaning. No. All I need is tempo. If the song has a good beat, decent vocals, and simply entertains my ear for a full 3 minutes (which can be very difficult with the music on the radio nowadays) I'm sold. The song could be about watching paint dry, picking up dog poop, or girls kissing girls, but if it sounds cool, dammit, I'm going to listen. So I will not be ashamed of myself for liking "I Kissed a Girl." And I know that came out wrong, but if you listen, you might see my point.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is good. Keep 'em coming.

Unknown said...

The video for that song is actually really good with the audio muted.